Saturday 19 March 2011

Being a Mummy

Going to make the most of my last weekend before I leave for Malawi with my family and my beautiful little girl.

I know how lucky I am and I know that at times my adventure is going to be very emotional especially as a mother. Even giving birth in Malawi is a risky business. The maternal mortality rates from 2008 that I read this morning blew me away. In 2008 the UK ratio per 100,000 live births was 8.2 in Malawi it was 1140.1 

I am getting focussed on what I can achieve and know that in the two weeks I will be able to make a very positive difference even if it is helping to set up simple processes in order for things to work more efficiently. It is my accounting skills that I need to use to make a difference. Think this quote from Barbara Sher sums up my thoughts nicely:

'Being gifted creates obligations, which means you owe the world your best effort at the work you love. You too are a natural resource.'

No comments:

Post a Comment